Monday, March 24, 2008

Lenten Season In Singapore



Holy Week in Singapore is nothing compared to what it is in the Philippines. Despite that we are not in a Christian country, we are blessed with one day off from work on Good Friday. I was on a diet in preparation for my friend’s wedding the following week, so I just considered it as my penance for the holy week. Since I’ve just arrived and am still familiarizing myself with the city, we took this opportunity to be a tourist even for just one day. We joined my visiting friends at the Jurong Bird Park. Macky (my former officemate) and Ruthie (who rocked Macky’s world! That’s how he described Ruthie to us. Ain’t it sweet?) spent their holy week in Singapore with Ruthie’s family. With our work and their itineraries, we only had one day to go out before they leave. Packed with our 3 cameras, (yes! you read right!), we walked through cages of birds.



First, we watched a show where parrots do tricks.











The show was alright. There were not much tricks to awe you that much. The parrots can be easily distracted so audience must follow instructions of the trainer seriously. A man in front of us read a paper the whole period of the show. Hehe..



Honestly, we really didn’t pay much attention to the different species of birds at the park. We just looked for good spots for picturesque sake! Hahaha! But we didn’t let go of the chance to feed the birds. I didn’t know that I can get this close to them without scaring them!






Just as we decided to have lunch and go somewhere else, dark clouds started to fill the sky. We got lost finding the short cut to the exit making it even longer than the usual route! Hahaha! As we got to a little tunnel, the heavy cloud rain started pouring hard. We were thankful that we didn’t get soaked in the rain or our 3 precious cameras will pay for it! Ironic as it can be, on a rainy day we have 3 cameras and only one umbrella! Hahaha! The rain poured and we’re trapped for almost an hour with our growling stomachs. It seemed like we’re in the middle of a rain forest where civilization is far.


When I can’t handle it anymore, I grabbed my umbrella and searched for a nearby bar to grab some snacks. That’s when I found out that we’re just a few meters away from the civilization, i mean the main hall!

Fortunately we were able to pose for some pictures before the rain poured.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting topics could give you more visitors to your site. So Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Such a nice blog. I hope you will create another post like this.