Friday, May 4, 2007

Everything Outside the Window

Whats the great thing about my seat here in the office is that it is located beside the glass window, so everytime I need to take a breather in my work (which I badly needed these past couple of weeks), I can just turn my head and look outside the window and from there I can see many tall buildings and a lot of city's skyscrapers, which varies from old building structures to the newly created ones -- instant over-looking! Sounds boring?!? Not for me. Because these very sights brings a lot of funny and unforgettable childhood memories to me. Brace yourselves as we travel back to the time called yesterday.

The History

Rougly 20 years ago, when I was just a 7-yr old little boy who has nothing to worry in life but to play, play and play, we used to go to Saguittarius Building to attend church every Sunday. The name of the church is Light of the World Christian Fellowship, which occupied the ground floor of that building before. But when I revisited this building today, the church is no longer there. If my memory serves me right, from our house in Taytay, we would leave our house around 9:30 in the morning, then we will arrive at my grandma's (which I call 'Nanay') house in Makati around lunchtime and have our lunch there.

Super Lola

My Nanay is a great cook, aside from being a great grandma. I have lots of memories with her during my childhood days since she was the one who raised me and took care of me in the first 5 years of my life. I used to live with Nanay in Makati, while my parents were in Taytay. This is because my mom needs to recuperate after giving a CS birth to me. Nanay is my playmate back then. My parents just visited me during weekends. At night, Nanay would wake me up everytime there's a balut vendor pasing by our street bacause she knew that I love eating balut, aside from junk foods of course. Today, Nanay is in the US, but she always make sure to come back here yearly.

At the church

Back to the story. After having our delicious lunch, we will go to this church to attend the 2-5 pm service. I usually go with my Aunt leaving the house early since she has a part in the church' program, my parents will just follow afterwards. I really look forward to go church every Sunday because I enjoy attending the Sunday school class. We do a lot of activities and stuffs there but the most interesting part is the bible story-telling, its like listening to kuya Bojie of Batibot. I can still remember some of the stories even up to now. There are also snacks prepared for us at the end of the class. But most of the time, my friends and I would sneak out of the class to play outside the building. Our favorite game is 'hide and seek' and guess what - our playing area includes all buildings in Salcedo village. Hehehe. As long as you can enter the building without being noticed by the security guards and hide there, then its a valid 'hiding place'. Basements are also best candidates for a place to hide. But unlike today, before there were just few structures surrounding the Saguittarius building, mostly are vaccant lots and open spaces. If we were not playing hide and seek, we play a detective role game, breaking into different buildings, exploring every floors using the elevator or even the service staircase. The adventurous part is accomplishing those things without being caught by the security guards and of course, without being lost on our way back. And after church service, I would ask my father to buy either buttered corn or dirty ice cream on a bread to the vendors patiently waiting outside the church building. That really made my Sunday. :D And we did this every Sunday for almost 6 years.

Back to the Future

To cut the short story shorter, these are the thoughts that come to my mind everytime I look outside the window. Thoughts and memories that cannot be concealed and erased by the tall buildings and skyscapers which occupied the place that we once called our 'playground'.

No comments: