Friday, March 23, 2007

On A Positive Note

An old-aged man and an almost deteriorated FX Shuttle whose engine sound will give you an impression that it will be having a hard time reaching its destination. What would you expect?! If I only knew that this will be the one I am riding on my way home, I must have bought some chips and peanuts on my way to the terminal because I expect that this will be a long and boring trip. I opt to take the next shuttle but because I’m already starving and it takes time for the vehicle to be filled up due to rare passengers because it’s already late, I ended up taking the disfavored shuttle. A few minutes after leaving the terminal, I doze off easily due to hard days work. Then suddenly, I was awakened by abrupt breaks and acceleration. As I grabbed my consciousness back, I realized that we are moving at a fast pace. This man is one hell of a driver! We would go past other cars with just an inch of a clearance and there were times I thought we would knock off motorcycles as we overtake them. By just merely looking at the driver, I can easily say that he is around 60 years old, but if his age will be based according to his driving prowess, it seems that he is at his late 20’s. This driver reminds me of Mang Antoy, a company driver from my previous company. I recalled one experience with him and a co-league as we managed to arrive in Makati from one of our client in Sta. Rosa, Laguna in barely 30 minutes! We felt like we're in a live Daytona car racing, overtaking one car after another at an incredible speed of almost 130 - 140 kph. A real heart-stopping, blood-pumping experience!

One lesson I learned regarding this experience is to never underestimate and judge people and things by the way they look and by the way we feel about them. Sometimes, the one that we thought to be a born-loser will emerge victorious in the end and often times, the one who is heavily favored to finish first would end up settling for last place. Just like this old man and his old fx shuttle which at first I thought and predicted to be a long and boring trip, proved me wrong as it became a short and exciting one in the end. As old saying goes, looks can really be deceiving..

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a commonly use saying also goes as "don't judge a book by it's cover"....lighter side "my brother is not a book - Melanie Marquez"....

...ako ang naaalala ko eh si Mang Joel, di ko lang alam kung naabutan ka pa niya sa office dati... =)

Jayr n Anne said...

oo naman, si mang joel idol talaga yan pagdating sa kalsada, pati na din sa mga chix.. hehehehe..