Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Reminiscing: Our first meeting

I can still remember, one Friday, I was in a meeting for the whole day with our Japanese guest when I received a text from my former officemate, Raymund, asking my permission if he could give my number to his friend. I ignored it for a while but he is persistent, sending me texts every hour. I tried to get information about his friend as much as I can and still focus on the meeting. He had said a lot of positive traits of this friend of his. I did not give him a definite answer of my approval. He kept saying that he strongly feels that we would look good together. Got an eyebrow raised when I read his message. More messages exchanged until late in the afternoon. I even remembered asking him if he’s actually at work w-o-r-k-i-n-g! Hahaha. I don’t go on blind dates. And I’m sure once I agreed to give him my number, meeting him would be next. Actually, I have two reasons why I can’t give him my permission right away. First, his friend is working at my former office, in which I know gossip travels fast. Secondly, I’m thinking it would just be a waste of time in case we didn’t like each other in the first place. But this former officemate of mine did not lose hope and seemed so sure of what’s going to happen. I reasoned with myself. First, in case we’ll be the talk in the office, it’ll be in his office and not mine! Secondly, I ask myself what do I got to lose? So at the end of the day I gave him my permission to finally give him my number.

The meeting I’m into ended late. Just as I sat at my desk, I got a message from his friend, said his name is JayR. Really, this guy didn’t want to lose any second I thought. I replied trying to be friendly. In 30 minutes I’m home. As I rest in my bed more getting-to-know-you messages were sent. Suddenly my celfone rang! Shocked, I instantly sat upright. With my mind arguing if I should answer it or not. Whoever it was on my mind urging me to answer it won. Next thing I knew, we were talking on the phone. Imagining what he looked like, I envisioned a tall guy, with tanned skin, and a clean shaved head. Hehe. I remember him asking me if I like to go bar hopping. The time he asked me this question, I knew right away that he’s close to asking me out. I honestly told him that I’m past those activities. And that I only go to bars when I got invited to a friend’s birthday that happens to be in a bar. Needless did I know that his birthday was coming! I got caught off-guard! He did not let one opportunity slip. I’m left with no choice. I didn’t want to be rude so we set to meet on one condition. He has to bring along our other officemate, Tere, who lives near our home. Who says asking me out is easy! Hahaha! Now he had to ask permission from our officemate’s fiancĂ© so she could accompany us.

So the day has arrived. We agreed that he’ll pick me up from my office in Alabang, By the way, did I mention he works in Makati, lives in Taytay Rizal and that I live in Laguna? Poor guy! Hahaha! He had asked me not to bring a car so he could give me a ride home. I insisted that I might be late for work if I don’t bring a car. He didn’t know it’s just my way not to ride with him in case our night won’t turn out the way Raymund had foreseen it’ll be. Also, I asked my officemates to be alert with my text in case I need to escape from our dinner! I had everything planned. I would text my officemates where we’ll have dinner so they could have their dinner there as well. Then when I signal them to help me, they’d find a way to get me out of there! Hahaha! One great plan huh! Unfortunately my fone went dead by the time he picked me up. Maybe cupid’s starting to do wonders by that time! Hahaha! So much for planning!

The first time I saw him, he was wearing a pink long sleeves. I said to myself this guy is confident enough to wear pink. It looked good on him though. I actually though he looked cute, very neat. Perfect! We had dinner at Friday’s. Thank goodness Tere was there so that we, at least my POV speaking, didn’t feel awkward. I just felt that I’m meeting an old friend. I tried to act cool and not give him the impression that I’m nervous and wanted to impress him. I’m matured enough to accept it if he won’t like me the way I am and that would be the last time I’d see him. Then after dinner he took out his fone and started taking pictures. I was a bit surprised but glad that he is not shy when it comes to camera. The night ended fine. Since I brought along my car, he just followed me home. I won’t mention that he got lost getting home. Oops, I just did! Hahaha! Apparently he’s not familiar with SLEX.

How in the world would I know that one text message can change my life forever? The picture of us together then is just the first of the thousands of pictures we have right now and the pictures we’ll have in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grabe! Kinilig ako sa inyo! ang funny and cute ng story...

Marunong dumiskarte asawa mo! hahahhahaha, mga moves nya ha...

At ikaw naman, talagang may mga exit plan ka pa...well things doesn't always turn out as u planned...

Congratulations for finding each other! You really look good together :)

Anonymous said...

see
told you them blind dates might do the trick.

fafa jayR!
you got my vote from day1. promise!

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed reading all your blogs.. i even added your blogsite to my favorites.. my friend is also getting married next June at the sta clara de montefalco and i am helping her in preparing her wedding.. your blog will be a great help =)

Anne n Jayr said...

thanks jenna..glad that our blog is helpful. just drop a line if you have some questions.